The rise of the smart phone and the use of text messaging have caused many companies to consider text message marketing as a viable option to reach their prospects and clients, especially when other channels and mediums are becoming increasingly noisy.
However, many coaches, consultants and business owners hesitate to add text message marketing to their marketing mix because they feel it can be too intrusive, but just like anything else, when done correctly (and very few people are doing it correctly), it can be a great way to communicate with your prospects and clients.
So is Text Message Marketing something you should consider for your business? Let’s take a look at the statistics:
Smart Phone Statistics:
- There are 2.6 billion smartphone subscriptions globally (Techcrunch)
- By 2020 smartphone subscriptions are expected to grow globally to 6.1 billion smartphone users. (Techcrunch)
- 70 percent of the world’s population will be using smartphones in five years’ time (Techcrunch)
- Texting is the most widely-used and frequently used app on a smartphone, with 97% of Americans using it at least once a day. (Pew Internet)
- 96% of smartphone users text. (Acision)
So what does this mean to you as a business owner? If the use of smart phones is going to increase and smartphones are used for text messaging, the use of text message marketing including various types of text messages (personal, business, etc.) will also increase, so if this is viable and easy way of communicating with your prospects, why not consider it?
Text Message Statistics:
- People worldwide will send 8.3 trillion text messages in just this year alone. That’s almost 23 billion messages per day, or almost 16 million messages per minute. (Portio Research)
- Over 6 billion text messages are sent in the U.S. each day. (Forrester)
- Over 80% of American adults text, making it the most common cell phone activity. (Pew Internet)
- On average, Americans exchange twice as many texts as they do calls (Nielsen)
- In 2011, 31% of Americans said they preferred text messages to phone calls (Pew Research Center)
So what does this mean for your business? Text messaging is becoming a popular and highly used way of communicating and as it continues to grow some individuals will expect or even prefer to communicate with businesses via text messages.
Text Message Analytics:
- Text messages have a 98% open rate (Mobile Marketing Watch)
- Text messaging has a 45% response rate (Velocify)
- 90% of all text messages are read in under 3 minutes. (Connect Mogul)
- It takes the average person 90 minutes to respond to email, but only 90 seconds to respond to a text message. (CTIA)
So what does this mean for your business? If you want a quick and easy way to reach your prospects and clients and you know they will receive and even respond to the message, then text message marketing is the way to go!
So what do all these statistics mean to you and your business? It means there is an opportunity to communicate with you prospects and clients via text message and text message marketing should be considered in your marketing mix, but just like every marketing strategy, you have to have a plan in order for it to be successful.
Need help with a Text Message Marketing Plan? Sign-up for The B.E.S.T. Marketing Workshop™ and create your Text Message Marketing Plan at this half-day workshop in Atlanta, GA on Friday, October 21st at 10:00 am.
Note: Majority of statistics obtained from OneReach blog post, 45 Texting Statistics That Prove Businesses Need to Take SMS Seriously