In my last two posts I talked about 5 Reasons You Should Be Using Text Message Marketing and How to Use Text Message Marketing in Your Business, so in this post, I am going to address one of the key factors to being successful with Text Message Marketing, which is building an effective Text Message list.
Similar to building an email list, you have to get people to opt-in (give permission) to receive information via text message. So in this post I will cover 5 ways to grow your text message list:
- Encourage individuals to join your text list by offering a special incentive. (i.e. Text “SPECIAL” to “515151” to receive a 10% off coupon). People are more likely to opt in to join your list if they get an immediate benefit like a discount code or a coupon. You can place this offer in your emails, at events offline, on social media, etc.
- Encourage individuals to join your text list by having a contest. (i.e. Text “Ticket” to “515151” for a chance to win tickets to an awesome event that is happening in town). People always like to have a chance at winning something, so this can be an easy way to build your text message list.
- Encourage individuals to participate in a text poll. Polls are a great way to get instant feedback, but you can also use it as a way to build your text list. (i.e. Text “Yes” to “515151” if you agree with the question of the day, or text “No” to “515151” if you disagree). You can use this method of building your list on platforms online or offline just by promoting participating in the poll to your audience.
- Encourage individuals to join your text list by offering a lead magnet. Now I am pretty sure you have heard this term used for online marketing activities. A lead magnet is a FREE download that would be of interest to your target audience. Some popular lead magnets include, eBooks, Checklists, Guides, etc. You can offer the same types of lead magnets to grow your text list, (i.e. Text “FREEDownload” to “515151”) and send the lead magnet as a link in the reply text message.
- Include a “mobile phone number” field in your sign-up forms and add a disclosure on the sign-up form stating that you may contact them via text message (i.e. event sign-up forms online, event sign-in lists, etc.). Requiring individuals to add a mobile phone number is an easy way to grow your opt-in text message list.
These five ways are a great way to start to build a text message list. Once you have a text message list, be sure to check out the How to Use Text Message Marketing in Your Business Post so you can learn how to use Text Message Marketing to effectively reach out to the people on the list that you have created.
Have you started to build a text message list yet? If so, what have you found to be the most effective way to build your text message list? Be sure to comment below and let us know.