In my last post I discussed the importance of the content in your e-mail. Once you’ve grown your list and have great content that you are sending out, you need to analyze your results! Here are 7 tips on ways to analyze your e-mail marketing results:
- Test different days and times for sending your e-mail to see what works best for your list. Even though there are suggested days and times for sending out your e-mail in order to get the best results, I recommend that you test different days and times because every e-mail list is different. After you test it out, you will have a better idea of what days and times work best for the people on your list.
- Analyze your e-mail results . When analyzing your e-mail results, some of the key indicators you should be looking at are your open rates (what percentage of people from your e-mail list are actually opening your e-mail), review the click through rates (CTR). The CTR will help you gauge how the content you place in your e-mail is working to engage your subscribers by indicating whether your subscribers are clicking the links within your e-mail in order to get more information. In addition, you want to track your opt-outs to be sure that you are not losing a lot of people every time you send out an e-mail. Lastly, be sure that you have the correct e-mail addresses for the contacts on your e-mail list by checking the bounces that are marked as invalid e-mail address.
- Make adjustments to your e-mail based on your analysis. Once you have tested and analyzed your results, be sure to make adjustment to improve your results. Those adjustments could include changing the day and time you send your e-mail, changing up the type of content you have in your e-mail, etc.
- Be consistent…..This is an area where I see many small business owners fall short. If you have committed to do an e-newsletter, e-zine or e-lert, if you have a daily e-mail be sure to send it out every day, if you have a weekly e-mail be sure to send it out every week, etc. Being consistent shows that your company is trustworthy, credible, and responsible, which are all characteristics of companies people like to do business with.
- Test different types of subject/headlines for your e-mail. In addition to testing the right day and time to send your e-mail, you should also test different types of subject/headlines. Some times changing the sound and feel of your subject line/headline can make a difference in your open rate.
- Keep the look and feel of your e-mail consistent with your brand. If you have a set look and feel for your brand, keep the look and feel of your e-mail the same as the look and feel of your website, blog, social media platforms, etc. you want your customers to have a similar experience no matter the platform that they are receiving information from you.
- Add relevant images to your e-mail. People like visually appealing e-mails. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so be sure to add relevant pictures in your e-mail to get your message across.
What techniques and ways do you use to analyze your e-mail efforts?
This blog series discussed 21 Things You Must Do in Order to Get Amazing Results from Your Email Marketing which included 7 tips to grow your e-mail list , 7 tips to ensure you are creating engaging content, and 7 tips on ways to analyze your e-mail marketing results. Click here to download the complete checklist of 21 Things You Must Do in Order to Get Amazing Results from Your Email Marketing!